In the interest of health and safety, the Conservatory of Music canceled Pacific Summer Jazz Colony 2020. We are looking forward to bringing this program back in the summer of 2021.
Previously known as Brubeck Institute Summer Jazz Colony, it is a one-week, intensive educational program in jazz performance for a limited number of exceptionally talented students who come from across the United States and abroad to study with University of the Pacific’s Jazz Studies faculty, guest artists and master teachers.
The week consists of combo rehearsals, master classes, classes in jazz theory and advanced jazz improvisation, as well as a variety of seminars on jazz topics. Colonists have extensive opportunities to visit with the artists and clinicians, participate in numerous jam sessions, and perform in public concerts at Pacific’s Take 5 Jazz Club and on stage of the historic Faye Spanos Concert Hall.
To apply for the 2021 Summer Jazz Colony, visit us in December 2020.
- Register at our online portal
- Submit two letters of recommendation
- Submit a résumé, including performance experience
- Upload recordings not to exceed 30 minutes in length with the following five selections:
- A medium-tempo blues
- An up-tempo rhythm changes tune
- A Latin, rock or funk tune
- A ballad
- Any other tune of your choice (standard, contemporary, original, etc.)
The applicant’s performance must be accompanied by a rhythm section or a play-along recording or both. The recording will be judged on sound, intonation, time-feel, jazz vocabulary, artistry and overall musicianship.
- Pay the camp fee of $1,700 per student. A limited number of scholarships are available based on financial need. Information will be made available to successful applicants.
The instrumentation for the Colony is designed to create a minimum of three instrumental combos that will work together throughout the week. It will include a minimum of the following:
- 1-3 vocalists
- 3 pianists
- 3 bassists
- 3 drummers
- 3 saxophonists
- 3 brass instruments (trumpets and/or trombones)
- 3 guitarists
Patrick Langham Program Director of Jazz Studies
209-946-3222 or email@example.com.